13 April 2006

Baker and Baker

I met with two bakers last night.
The first was Stephanie. I like her. She's really nice, and had her work put together in a very professional matter, with JUST enough casual for someone who bakes cakes in her home.
She is trying to raise her prices on wedding cakes, she is WAY below normal, and tried it out for the first time on us. It didn't go so well. Ms. Cindy had written down where she had quoted a previous price of half what she did while we were talking. She backed off. The cake I want, sized to feed 156 people, is $197.00. And her groom's cake price is wonderful too!!! $75.00 for the cake sized to feed 75 people. I think that is plenty of cake for us, don't you.
We drove out to see another lady who does cakes out of her home simply because we said we would. That was a disaster, and I am slightly sorry I did it. Her organization was horrid. She is using photo albums, designed to be opened occasionally not constantly, to showcase her pictures. Needless to say they are falling apart. Also, her cake pictures had a tendency to showcase the bride and groom more than the cake. And her prices were higher. $247.50 for a wedding cake to feed 150 people, and $112.00 for a groom's cake to feed 68. That didn't really match her per piece prices she was quoting either. I think she forgot how to do math. She was a nice old lady though. And yes, I mean old.
Stephanie is making my cake bigger than the kit I found, but that's cool. There will be pleny of cake. I'm wondering a bit about how much she charges for her fruit arrangements... I can't help but wonder if it would be worth it to hire her for that too...

No comments: