16 August 2005

Stupid University Stuff

If anyone is famialar with universities, they have to do stuff the hard way.
USM offers each faculty, staff, and student a free e-mail address. These username for these addresses used to be some variation of your name. Then the university decided to go to id numbers for everyone. At this time, new students/faculty/staff where given usernames of w+id. Now, they go off and decide to make everyone's username this.
This was not well thought out. I work for the Helpdesk. We were bombarded with calls this morning related to this change. And there were some big problems with e-mail that developed. Like people losing all their e-mail. And a few accounts ceasing to exist. I hope it is all fixed tomorrow.

But something great did come of all this. A guy called the girl that sits next to me this morning. He told her that he was working on the e-mail stuff, but was getting a UTS error. She said she had never heard of that, but would try to help him get it straightened out. He let her go on for a minute before asking if she really didn't get it. She, being the brunette in the office that gets accused of being a blonde, admitted that she didn't have a clue what it was. He then proceeded to explain to her that it was a 'User Too Stupid' error. The entire office got a great laugh out of it. While I was all right, a couple of the other guys needed a little pick-me-up. This was a great one.

To help you understand how hectic this morning was, we have an office of 5 technicians and a manager. We were all taking calls this morning. For close to an hour, we didn't have less than 20 calls waiting to be answered. At least we have a more laid back office than we used to. One of the girls that used to work there would have went crazy with that many calls. I kinda enjoyed it though. Maybe I am just a masochist.....

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I'm glad I don't work with you. Why can't people/places EVER leave well enough alone? I just don't get it.


I really hope I never have to deal with the public again, but you never really know what life will throw your way, do you?

glad you had a good relaxing weekend. I never did ask WHAT that dress for Ashleigh looked like....

And I feel bad that I didn't call Daddy on his birthday. But I know he'll understand that I was in bed with a migraine all day long!

Too bad it's trying to come back now....oh well...just part of life.

Also too bad about the baker. I'll try to remember to remind you to call, but that probably won't go too well. ; ) At least you got lots of other stuff accomplished.